The body: it has been a part of us, since we were born. It is the vehicle we inhabit to navigate through life. It is our vessel of autonomy and self expression. It protects our souls that live within. It sustains our spirits so that we can fulfill our life Purpose. Yet, quite often we treat our body as if it is separate from us. We neglect to acknowledge the importance of Body Relationship: the harmony between the inner self and the outer body. Why does it matter matter if our body and self are in healthy loving relationship? Because the unity between the two is necessary for harmony in our life. As long as we feel separated from our bodies by shame, guilt, anger, or frustration we will be unhealthy. True holistic health is harmony among mind, body, and spirit. Learning to love who we are from the inside out empowers us to define our own life experience on our terms. However, loving your body and yourself can be quite challenging for many. It is easy to say and it sounds good, but when it comes to practical life application, body and self love is not easy for everyone. So, how do you learn to bring body and self together in a loving relationship? Here are a few things that you can practice to get started:
- Learn Your Body Language– Your body is constantly communicating with you. It was designed to signal you. It tells you when it’s hungry, tired, ill, in danger, or deficient in nutrients. The more you listen to your body, the more you will hear it “speak” to you. Don’t be afraid to ask yourself questions about your body: what does that pain mean, why is my skin changing, or what food feels best when I eat? Seek to know your body and you will be come closer to it.
- Prioritize Body Care– Put your body on your calendar. Make it a priority in your life. Whether it is exercise, eating, or taking a nap, make a commitment to care for your body. When you invest in your body, you will receive an infinite return in all of your health and well being. It is a way to acknowledge the importance and value of your body to your life.
- Release Negative Energy About Your Body– Work on eliminating words of judgement, shame, and comparison about your body: “this hair is a mess, my skin is horrible, I need to lose this belly, I wish my boobs were bigger” Start replacing them with gentle, loving dialog: “I care for my hair so it will it grow, I nourish my skin so it will glow, I am exercising to strengthen my core, I am thankful for having healthy breasts”
- Embrace the Journey With Your Body- Remember that your body has been here since the beginning. It is not perfect, but it is yours. It has carried you to this point in life and it deserves to be honored for that. Understand that you have the rest of your life to live with your body and you can always evolve and improve along the way. However, give yourself grace and gentleness to know that you will always be working towards the higher version of yourself.
I know that learning to love body and self can be challenging. I also know that you may have never even considered the importance of a healthy, loving body relationship. Maybe what I shared in this post has sparked your curiosity or desire to pursue harmony between your body and self. You don’t have to face that journey alone. I would be happy to talk with you and help you discover what you want in your body relationship and set goals to attain those things. ‘
I invite you to schedule a FREE one on one Body Relationship Consultation with me today!
Other Body Love Posts You Will Enjoy:
Latest posts by Ivy LaArtista (see all)
- Netflix OITNB Early Release May Ruin My Self Care Saturday - 06/12/2015
- How I Manage My Challenging Body Image Moments - 06/10/2015
- Yoga On The Mall | My First DC Yoga Week Experience - 05/09/2015
- The Smart Way To Save Money On Healthy, Whole Foods - 04/23/2015